Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Cavemen are doing it!

Whats on my mind today??

Food.

I eat pretty healthy almost all the time.  Its just the way I was raised.  We didn't have junk food in the house, didn't really drink soda, and my mom always cooked really healthy.  You could always tell when my Dad had gone to the grocery because there would be Apple Jacks in the cereal cabinet.  And we thought this was a huuuuge deal.  So I have just naturally had pretty good eating habits.  In recent years, I discovered my love for junk food and all things chocolate and my diet/weight definitely suffered because of it.  Add to that a 3+ year relationship with a guy that could (and did) eat anything in his sight and not gain a pound and this little chica quickly packed on a few el bees. 

The last year I have really tried to focus on sticking to my healthy eating habits and cutting out the junk.  I love salad and all vegetables.  I love to grill chicken or fish and grill up some veggies to have with it.  I like the occassional pasta meal but other than that I'm not a real big bread or potato eater.  So, I really have NO EXCUSES to not eat healthy.  The gym I work at is really big on the Paleo Diet.  In a nutshell, you can eat lean meats, vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, no sugar.  Simple enough right?  Thats what you CAN eat, and thats ALL that you can eat.  You can not eat any dairy, processed foods, or gluten. The point of this is to take our bodies back to the way they were originally designed to use and metabolize food.  You take out all the foods that are the usualy triggers of food allergies and intolerance issues.  I did this 'diet' strictly for about 30 days and let me just tell you..... It is not easy.  But.... it works.  Not only does it work, but you feel really good doing it.  The first week is hard, but once your body gets used to it, you feel great.  You have more energy, no bloating issues,  you never feel miserable after you eat,  and you can just feel your body working and using the food the way it is supposed to.  If you have ever had any tummy issues they will be gone.  But WARNING:  when you incorporate some of the foods back in to your diet, it will not go over so well.  So be near a bathroom or some TUMs at all times.  This to me was the real eye opener.  If I only went a few weeks without these foods and this is what it did to me after I had even just a little bit, what was it doing to my body and my overall health when I was eating them regulary??

Ultimately, the diet should work like this:  you do it really strict for at least 30 days, then in the maintenance mode you take a more 80/20 approach.  Trying to focus on 'the rules' at least 80% of the time and limit the no-no foods to 20%.  It is definitely not for everyone.  I understand this.  And it is by no means easy!  But I really do notice that I feel much better when I live this way and I would recommend that everyone take the 30 day challenge.  With a little preparation, it really is not so bad. 

All of this being said......

I have fallen off the wagon!!  I think I decided to write this post as a way to hold myself accountable.  If I put it out in the bloggy world that this is how I eat, then I have to eat this way!  Right?  Also, it is really easy to get bored with foods and I would love any suggestions for good restaurant meals or recipes that you all have.  If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!  The best book out there is "The Paleo Solution" and after reading it, you will think differently about everything you put in your body, and where our foods come from.  So beware!

Here is the book....It really is a great read! 



No comments: